Adoption Made Simple
A GUIDE FOR PARENTS WHO DESIRE TO ADOPT A CHILDMISSION – FIND A FAMILY FOR EVERY CHILD
The Constitution of India has laid down directives for the care, protection and rights of the child to a family. International standards such as United Nations Convention on Rights of Child(UNCRC)-1989 and Hague Convention on Inter-country Adoption-1993 have also stipulated measures for children who are without family care and/or institutionalized for long. Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA), an autonomous body under Ministry of WCD, Govt. of India endeavors to fulfill the rights of every child to a family through a network of NGOs and Government run Adoption homes.
What is adoption?
"Adoption" means the process through which the adopted child is permanently separated from his biological parents and become the legitimate child of his adoptive parents with all the rights, privileges and responsibilities that are attached to the relationship (JJ Act, 2000 amended in 2006).
Who can adopt?
- A couple like you who wants to give a child a loving family and healthy environment, can adopt.
- You can adopt a child under the Hindu Adoption and Maintenance Act 1956 and under Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act 2000 and amended in 2006.
- If you have a reasonable and regular source of income to support the needs of the child within the family.
- Neither of you should have a major illness that can come in the way of parenting.
- Neither of you should have a criminal record.
- The composite age of desirous adoptive couple shouldn’t exceed 90 years for infants.
- If you are single you can adopt up to 45 years of age.
- The age difference between you and the adopted child should be at least 21 years.
- If you are single, you should also have additional family support.
From where you can adopt?
- Recognized Indian Placement Agencies
- Shishu Grehas getting grant-in-aid from Central Government
- LAPA (Licensed Adoption Placement Agencies)
(Adoption Coordinating Agencies and State Adoption Cells may also be contacted. For more details, please access our website i.e. www.adoptionindia.nic.in )
NOT TO ADOPT FROM
- Ulicensed Agencies / Homes
- Nursing Homes / Hospitals, as it is not permitted and will get you into serious legal problems.
- Any unrelated person
HOW CAN ONE ADOPT?
- Firstly, prospective adoptive parents should register with the local licensed Adoption Agency or Adoption Coordinating Agency. Your interest in adoption is ascertained at this stage.
- A home study of the prospective parents is cnducted by the social worker of the agency. To allay your fears and apprehensions, pre-adoptive counseling sessions are undertaken by the social worker. For the social worker, assessing the ability of the couple to parent a child not born to them is of crucial importance. Therefore, the couple’s suitability to care for an unrelated child is ensured through this home study.
- After the initial survey, prospective adoptive parents should submit documents related to their financial and health status to the agency.
- A child is then shown to the parents. If desired by the parents, the agency takes care to match a child meeting the desired description.
- The agency files a petition for obtaining the necessary orders under relevant Act once a successful matching has been done. In some cases, the child may also be placed in pre-adoption foster care with adoptive parents.
- Fees, as prescribed by the Government, will be charged by the licensed adoption agency for maintenance and legal cost.
- The above process is normally completed in 6-8 weeks once the child has been matched with the parents. There are regular follow-up visits and post-adoption counseling by the social worker till the child adjusts in his/her new environment.
An updated List of Adoption Coordinating Agencies promoting domestic adoptions in the country.
LIST OF ADOPTION COORDINATING AGENCIES FOR promotion OF DOMESTIC ADOPTION
|S.No.||Name & Address of the Agency||Contact Person / Phone / Fax / Email Address|
|1||Voluntary Coordinating Association,
C/o Director, Women Development & Child Welfare Department,
Govt. of Andhra Pradesh,
8-3-222, Ameerpet, Vengalrao Nagar,
Hyderabad - 500 038, Andhra Pradesh
|Ms. Y.V. Anuradha, Director
Ph. No.: 040 - 23733665 / 3221
Fax No.: 040 - 23732587
Bihar Adoption Coordinating Agency
Nagma Niwas, House No. 300,
(above the Eye World Shop),
Near R.K. Mission Ashram,
Nala Road, Patna – 800 004.
| Ms. Daisy Narain
Ph. No. 0612-2690744
|3||Coordinating Voluntary Adoption Resource Agency (CVARA)
4 Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Marg,
| Mrs. Leila Baig, Member Secretary
Ph. No.: 23212086
Email: email@example.com /
|4||Voluntary Coordinating Agency for Adoption
'Prerna', Mangal Prabhat Trust Building,
Opp. St. Xevier’s High School,
Mirzapur, Ahmedabad - 380001,
| Mr. Natubhai Patel, Honorary Secretary
Ph. No.: 079 - 25500309
Fax No.: 079 - 25504106 / 25465236
|5||Voluntary Coordinating Agency
Social Justice & Empowerment Department,
SCO No. 68-70, Sector 17A,
Chandigarh-160 017, Haryana
| Shri A.K. Singh, Director
Ph. No.: 0172 – 2702712 / 2703522 /
Telefax: 0172 - 2702749
|6||Voluntary Coordinating Agency
IYC Community Centre,
1st Cross, 2nd Block, R.T. Nagar,
Bangalore - 560032, Karnataka
| Dr. Aloma Lobo, Chairperson
Ph. No.: 080 - 23331847
|7||Voluntary Coordinating Agency
Rajagiri College of Social Sciences,
P.O. Rajagiri, Kalamassery, Ernakulam District,
Kerala - 683104
| Dr. Joseph I. Injodey, Chairperson
Ph. No.: 0484 - 2540727 / 2555564
Fax No.: 0484 - 2532862
|8||Voluntary Coordinating Agency (Vidarbha Region)
349/2, Maharashtra Gandhi Smark Nidhi,
Kasturba Bhavan,Bajaj Nagar,
Nagpur - 440 010, Maharashtra
| Dr. D. Walokar, Member Secretary
Ph.0712-2226812 / 2541734
|9||Voluntary Coordinating Agency
3, Bima Chhaya,
Opp. Chintamani Deshmukh Garden,
Mahatma Phule Road, Mulund (E),
Mumbai – 400081, Maharashtra
| Ms. Asha Rane, Chairperson
Ph. No.: 022 - 25922641
|10||Manipur State Council for Child Welfare
| Ph.No. 03585-221010 /
|11||Voluntary Coordinating Agency (Mizoram)
C. Lalchuma Building,
Near Social Welfare Directorate,
|Mr. Lalmal Sawna, Chairman
Tel. : 0389-22340870 / 2343511
|12||Voluntary Coordinating Agency
Shahane Consultant's Pvt. Ltd
1118, Modal Colony, Ganeshkhind Road,
Shivaji Nagar, Pune - 411016,
| Mrs. Nishita Shah, Chairperson
Ph. No.: 020 - 32904742
Fax No.: 020- 25656144
|13||Voluntary Coordinating Agency
C/o Shishuadhar for the Child,
Anand Nagar Park, Building No. 13,
Flat No. 27 & 28, Paud Road,
Kothurd, Pune - 411038,
| Mrs. Bharati Ghate, Executive Director
Ph. No.: 020 - 25434388
|14||Voluntary Coordinating Agency (Punjab)
Department of Social Security &
Women & Child Development
Government of Punjab,
(Near Passport Office)
| Shri Raj Kamal Chaudhari, Director
Ph.No.: 0172-2602726 / 2664533
|15||SANYOG (Voluntary Coordinating
Agency for Adoption, Orissa)
At/Post Bidnasi (near Hanuman Temple)
Cuttack, Orissa - 753014
| Mrs. Bijoyini Das, Member Secretay
Ph. No.: 0671 - 2605914
Fax No.: 0671 - 2603178
|16||Voluntary Coordinating Agency for Child Adoption
C/o Indian Council for Child Welfare,
NO. 5, 3rd Main Road (West),
Chennai - 600030. Tamil Nadu
| Mrs. Rangashree Srinivas,
Ph. No.: 044 - 26288677
|17||Rashtriya Mahila Sansthan,
Voluntary Coordinating Agency
B-7/2 Parmila Srivastava Marg,
River Bank Colony, Lucknow, UP
| Shri Adarsh Kumar, Secretary
Ph. No. 0522-216733 / 212721
|18||West Bengal Coordinating Agency on Adoption
C/o West Bengal Council for Child Welfare,
42, Ramesh Mitra Road,
Kolkata - 700 025, West Bengal
| Mr. Anil Kumar Bhuyan, Hon. Secretary
Ph. No.: 033 - 24756180
Fax No.: 033 - 24742395